Reporting to the Chief Science Officer, the Lab Supervisor will be responsible for leading and expanding a team of technicians responsible for the micropropagation of in vitro plants. This will require developing production schedules, create and implement policies and procedures, working closely with other departments to track production and inventory, building projections for plant propagation projects, and working with customers and stakeholders to manage expectations. This position will require supervisory experience in a production setting.
- Supervise, support, and schedule team technicians to achieve target production goals and fulfill customer orders.
- Develop processes to ensure that resources (supplies, media, labor) are provided and available to meet target activities and deliverables on a weekly basis.
- Train new hires, provide constructive feedback, and assist with performance review process as related to lab technicians.
- Provides recommendations for development and performance improvement plans to the Manager.
- Assist with planning and processing of domestic and global Plant Requests and/or Purchase Orders.
- Create and develop a written set of procedures and protocols for plant propagation
- Audit and review data entries from technicians, ensuring logs are accurate and updated in a timely manner.
- Maintain records for various functions such as daily production reports, laboratory inventories, and shipping reports. Provide monthly reports to management or as requested.
- Evaluate the quality of plants for shipment and provide final approval for shipping to respective locations, domestic and international.
- Bachelor’s degree or advanced training/courses in, biological sciences, or 4+ years of related working experience, preferred.
- Supervisory and/or mentoring experience.
- Proven leadership skills.
- Must be able to read and follow detailed instructions, directions, and protocols in English.
- highly organized in handling materials, equipment, and supplies.
- Ability to collaborate with other team members, develop strong relationships, and maintain a positive attitude.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Regular and reliable attendance at the primary place of business.
- Willingness to learn new skills and be part of a team.
- Cultural sensitivity and the ability to work well with people from different countries and with varying English language skills.
- Must demonstrate professional and ethical business practices, adherence to company values, and a commitment to personal and professional development.
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
- Experience working with tissue culture and micropropagation, in a lab and greenhouse setting, or any other agriculture setting.
- Experience managing and scheduling a team.
- Laboratory experience in a sterile environment.
- Demonstrated ability to follow protocols.
- Experience writing and editing SOPs.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and cover letter. We look forward to hearing from you!